The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Seen Through a Glass, Darkly...and Lightly


Welcome to my blog: Seen Through A Glass.

Why a blog? I mean, I have a straight-up website, isn't that enough? Blogs are things amateurs do, right? Blogs are the mimeographs and office copiers of the 21st Century, sloppy newsletters from sloppy people.

Well...I did one of those sloppy newsletters, back twenty years ago. I called it Horseshit Times and then (when I got a bit more mature (and married)) Downwind. That's where I first practiced writing for the public: humor, beer rants, silly crap.

If I want to do that now, a blog seems perfect. Even better, actually, because the problem with Downwind was that it was a pain to produce. I was pushing the software to the limits, collating and stapling, mailing and passing it out by hand... But thanks to Blogger and Google, not only is this free, better-looking, and disseminated immediately to the entire world (thanks, Google), I can write in it, produce it, publish it, from anywhere with a 'Net linkup. I LIKE that.

More to the point, I have a real reason for doing this kind of thing now. I'm a freelance drinks writer by trade, and this blog (and the website) are part of my promotional activities. It's advertising, it's promotion, it's communication with my readers, it's support for my books. I do all that on the website, but the website, while more capable, takes more time. I need a more rapid response medium.

So I'll be using this for quick stuff. Mostly, to start with, STAG is going to be a place to start up my Session Beer Project (more on that shortly). So I'll be doing a lot more quick tasting notes and short rants, as that hits me. It's going to be as informal as "The Latest" is...okay, was on my site, when I was keeping up with it. The idea for the blog is short, sharp, and frequent writing.

I want to keep up on local stuff, too: local to southeast PA and the adjoining states. I dropped the ball on local news last year, and I want to get back up to speed; here's where it's happening.

That's all for now. Welcome.

8 comments:

Harry Spade said...

Hey Lew. Nice idea for a blog. I generally prefer session beers so I'm looking forward to your Project.

Anonymous said...

Lew,

Hear that sound? It's the sound of a bookmark getting it's wings. Thanks for this blog!

Lanny

Lew Bryson said...

Thanks, guys. Lanny, you know there's always room for big beers at my table...but I sure do love that Urthel Amber!

Anonymous said...

Lew, Thank you! Thank You! Thank you! We've discussed the topic of Session Beer over on Realbeer.com many times. Thank you for picking up the mantle. Many of us just want a beer that we can drink and not get blotto or have our tongues so thickened by IBUs that our airway becomes obstructed. There is a time and place for those big or imperial brews but for the daily drink or the Friday night outing we just want a well-made brew that allows us to function. Seriously, a precision made ale, be it a Bitter, Mild, Dry Stout or a lager style such as a nice clean Pils is all we are asking for. So, thanks again for expounding on this topic.

Bryan Kolesar said...

Great to hear that we'll be hearing more from you...here! You've got the message that people either want or need to hear. Not that you need it, but we'll put a link and a message up over at our site. Preach on...

Bryan

Adam said...

Whoohoo! This is a topic I can't wait to see you explore.

-Adam

Lew Bryson said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. I'll try to live up to it.

Greg Clow said...

Welcome to the beer-blog-o-verse, Lew. As I said to Alan McLeod on IM yesterday, you were the one writer that I was hoping would join us. I think you've made more posts in your first week and a half than I did in the first couple of months, so you're off to a good start...