The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Old Forge Launching in Philly TODAY

The original, MUCH smaller brewery, and Damien.
Should've had this up earlier because Damien Malfara at Old Forge is a great guy and a talented brewer, but, well, here it is: Old Forge Brewing of Danville, PA (which is a very cool place, you should go) has pumped up their capacity significantly, and is launching in Philadelphia today at Standard Tap at 7:00. They'll have their two standards, T-Rail Pale Ale and Endless Summer Ale, in kegs and cans, but they're also bringing a Bourbon Barrel Aged Brown Ale in firkin, Ludwig's Lager, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Bourbon Barrel Aged Hank The Belgian Stout, Ol' Smithy Spiced Winter Ale, Underbite IPA, and Slack Tub Stout (on nitro, which I think is the sleeper hit in the pack, my go-to at Old Forge...unless there's a batch of altbier on).

Can't make it tonight? Try the Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting tomorrow from 6 to 8; the Perch Pub at Broad & Locust on Friday for lunch with Damien, noon to 2; and then a quick canned happy hour (T-Rail and Endless are in 16 oz. cans) at Percy Street BBQ, and then from 6 to 8 at Beer Heaven on the river in Pennsport; Saturday you can find Damien at The Beer Store in Southampton from 2 to 4, and the whole wild trip winds up Saturday night at The Blind Pig in Northern Liberties from 6:00 until Damien falls over.


You should try to get out for this. Old Forge is smack-dab in the middle of the hottest brewing area in PA right now, and Damien's a Fox Chase boy who went off to the sticks to be with his sweetheart, and got thirsty, and had to make his own beer just to survive...and it was so good he thought he'd bring some back home. Go, taste, have some fun!

9 comments:

sam k said...

Old Forge has been a must-stop anytime I've been in the neighborhood, right down to my daughter loving the food even though she can't drink.

Go forth and multiply, Damien...we'll follow!

Lee Botschaner said...

The food is fantastic. My niece, not of drinking age, loved it as well. I always make it a point to eat there when I am traveling through

Lew Bryson said...

Hey, Lee...I hear your cream ale is FINALLY back on the shelves. Seen any?

L.F. Neuweiler said...

Sir, Lest your pursuits of cream ale go unrealized I have brewed, to the taste of the nation, my own cream ale and stock ale available henceforth to the public. In addition, I am thanking the public for past patronage and respectfully invite a continuance of the same as I have every facility of doing business to the satisfaction of all. Buying and selling all my goods for cash enables me, by industry, to sell goods at a low price. I have also an unequalled selection of pure wines in bond and store, intended solely for sacramental purposes, to which I invite particular attention. Respectfully--

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure this guy used to sell me chemistry glassware.

sam k said...

Ever since the inception of the Lion's "Gotta Buy a Pallet" policy, the chances of seeing Lieb in most distributors are slim to none, and in six-pack shops probably worse. Mine won't pick up a pallet.

Lew Bryson said...

That is indeed what Damien used to do!

That's a confusing policy, Sam...but we've talked about that.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, as one north-central Pa beer arrives in Philly, another departs. The folks at Bavarian Barbarian have announced they are going out of business. Sad news from a small brewery that made outstanding beers, including the 2010 Gothika collaboration with Terry Hawbecker (I know I spelled his surname wrong, my apologies) and his old haunt, Bullfrog, which remains the best beer I have ever tasted. Let's hope Old Forge's fate is better.

Anonymous said...

Gotta admit I was disappointed with Bullfrog the last time through this fall it was all belgian and fruit beers, very little of the variety I like in a brewpub. I dont think I'll be going out of my way again to head there.