The Full Bar - all my pages

Friday, June 22, 2007

Heinnieweisse: alone

I promised way back at the end of April that at some time (I believe then I said "tomorrow." Heh.) I would give Butternuts Beer & Ale Heinnieweisse a second shot on its own, not side-by-side with a strongly traditional hefe like Sly Fox Royal Weiss.

Time came last night. Cathy came home from a business trip to Atlanta, I was a bit burned out from working hard for three days on a couple of stories, and I started throwing stuff on the grill: some fresh kielbasa, some pork kabobs, and some teriyaki-marinated chicken breasts. Cathy was making a big salad, the kids were setting the table. So I got out a glass and poured the Heinnie.

It's pale, but carries a good head. It's got the German nose, the banana and clove thing. It drinks light and refreshing. But it has that weird ending thing going that I called mineraly when I put it against the Sly Fox, and now I'm thinking that it's might actually be hops. This is reminding me of the Schneider Edelweiss, the hoppy weiss. I got over the oddness, and started enjoying it. It cleans up the ending rather nicely.

Final call? Probably not a first choice, but a pretty good weiss for a really hot day.

8 comments:

Steven said...

What's the ABV on this one, session material?

GenX at 40 said...

I think that is very fair. What I like about this brew is the buck a can price and I expect there will be a bit of a issue here or there for a beer at that price. That being said, if I were able to fill a bucket of ice with this on a hot day, that would be good.

Alan
A Good Beer Blog.

Lew Bryson said...

Steven,

Just talked to Ireo Bongiorno at the brewery: it's 4.2%, how about dat!

GenX at 40 said...

All the better.

Alan

Steven said...

'Dat be session material in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

I can see the Edelweiss comparison. I get sweet/bubblegum from both. Maybe it's just me.

I've been keeping this one around because my wife likes it. I don't think it's pretty solid and refreshing. Unlike my wife, I choose SF Royal Weisse over this one. But like genx at 40 said, you can't complain for the price.

Lew Bryson said...

Unlike my wife, I choose SF Royal Weisse over this one.

No disagreement here: the wife and I would both choose the Fox first. But I'm not going to give away the other cans I have of the Butternuts; I'm drinking 'em!

Anonymous said...

Oops! I meant "I do think it's pretty solid and refreshing. So much for clarity!