The Full Bar - all my pages

Sunday, June 24, 2007

One Guy update

Guy Hagner tells me that he's got federal approval to brew, just waiting on local and state approval to become Berwick's first brewery in modern times. In fact, he did say that he's realizing that there's just not that much more to do before he's ready to rock. Just needs those approvals and some electrical work (of course, that's where some brewers have been...for months).

People are getting excited about this, and I have to say, with one of the beers planned as a session-strength Czech-style lager called Lew's All-Saaz Saaz-All (a generous thank-you for one day of demolition), I'm pretty excited too.

By the way, you may be seeing more of Guy here. I got him going on the pros and cons of decoction mashing a while back, and suggested that he do a once-a-month short "fundamentals of brewing" post here. He's thinking about it. I'm leaning on him. We'll see what happens.

11 comments:

bvernot said...

I first read about Guy's new brewery on your website, and have been eagerly awaiting new news. I live in Pittsburgh, and will take a weekend trip to philly via Guy's brewery whenever it opens.

How long does this sort of approval usually take? I hope everything goes well for him.

joe said...

Does Guy decoct? If so, good for him!

Lew Bryson said...

"How long" and "usually" just don't go together with this kind of thing... It's hard to say when things will happen, and until they do, he can't do anything. Even once they do happen, Guy wants to get a solid reserve of beer built up before he opens. So...it's gonna be a while!

Which kind of answers Joe's question: Guy's not doing any brewing for now, decoction or otherwise.

Dr Rick said...

I worked with Guy at Franconia Brewing Co, He made the best German Brown Lager! I expect the same from him. I can't wait to taste the beer.
Best of Luck!!!

Steven said...

German Brown Lager? Okay, my interest is peaked... tell us more.

Lew Bryson said...

He's talking about Franconian braunbier, a luscious, malty brown lager pretty much found only in Franconia; I got some at the KlosterbrÀu in Bamberg. Guy's Franconia Brewing was the only place I've ever know to do a braunbier in the U.S., and it was delicious.

Steven said...

I went to Bamberg, the Kloster was closed on the day we climbed to the top. :-(

Lew Bryson said...

Different Kloster: this one is down by the river.

Steven said...

Hmm, according to our friends at BA, the Klosterbrau Braunbier is a Marzen/Oktoberfest style. Was denken Sie, Herr Bryson?

But back on subject, I can't wait to read some of Guy's thoughts on brewing and beer.

Lew Bryson said...

I think that's more a case of "had to put it somewhere." It's a different color, it's a different taste (not as sharpish as Ofest, more sweet), and I think it might be lower in carbonation, not sure.

Guy? Any comments?

Anonymous said...

Guy not only made a great braunbier at Franconia, he also made the most German-tasting domestic beer I've ever had, a contract version of Bamberger Herren Pils. I'm only an hour and a half from Berwick, and am looking forward to the 'all-clear' signal from Lew for a run east soon thereafter!