The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hiding Out in Lagerland

Yes, I'm on that trip. I landed in Lagerland yesterday, met Stephen Beaumont at the Frankfurt Airport, took the train to Köln, and checked in at our hotel. My room has a great view of the Dom.

We hit Früh for two quick kölsches, then trained up to Düsseldorf. We picked up a tourguide from the local tourism bureau, who gave us a real whirlwind tour spiked with plenty of history. Then we got a brewery tour at Zum Schlussel (details on all of this later, I'm a bit rushed for time right now) and a delicious schweinehaxe dinner, and plenty of good altbier.

After that, getting a little bit of a second wind, we crossed the street to Im Goldenen Kessel for a couple glasses of Schumacher, then down to Zum Uerige, where we actually found an open barrel-table right next to the one where my blog picture one the left was taken. Like coming home. But I was crashing hard, been up almost 36 hours at that point, so we had two and caught the train back to Köln. And now we're up and ready to go back to Düsseldorf for more. I may or may not be able to post more, it's going to be a bit crazy.

8 comments:

Steven said...

Man -- izzit really as warm as it looks over there?

> snif < sobbing in green jealousy (of the weather as much as the trip!).

Rustmeister said...

Man, I'm jealous.

The one beer I want to try again is Urfränkisches Landbier. I was stationed in Kitzengen way back when, and the Kesselring brewery was just down the road in Marksteft.

I didn't even know what beer was back then. If I only knew then what I know now....

Rich said...

Cranes! Look closely in the background of that picture you'll see two cranes. It's interesting...last time I was in Europe I specifically noticed that they put up these huge construction cranes for every project...even a simple house had these massive cranes, they were everywhere.

Anyhow, hope you are enjoying the sites and the beer! Have fun, and safe trip back to the states.

Ari Juntunen said...

Lagerland seems to be here kind of a misnomer if you are drinking altbier and kölsch, i.e. ales. Obergärigland?

Lew Bryson said...

It really was that warm yesterday. It was cooler today, and rainy, but still not bad for February.

Lew Bryson said...

Ari,

"Hiding Out in Lagerland" was a specific reference to how altbier and kölsch are "hiding" in Lagerland. They survive as islands in a sea of pilsner. I'm well aware of what they are!

ClockworkOrange said...

Lew,
Can you bring me back a bottle or two of Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel? :)

Lew Bryson said...

cwo,

I feel your pain. Haven't seen any Andechs, though; bottleshops mostly carry the locals here.