The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Announcing Session #26: Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em

We're working on getting The Session back in shape -- we got kinda flabby with non-beer style-related postings (!) last year, which apparently pissed some folks off -- and it's looking buff and stylish: we just had a round of light low-calorie lagerboy workouts, courtesy of The Beer Nut. But before we get carried away with this health craze, I'd like to invite everyone to join me out back of the barn, where we're going light up some smoked beers.

There may be more smoked beers than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio; it's not just rauchbier lagers from Franconia. Within the last year, I've had a strange smoked wheat beer, light and tart, that local brewers insisted was a re-creation of a Polish grodziski beer; a lichtenhainer, another light smoked wheat beer; several smoked porters; the odd Schlenkerla unsmoked helles that tastes pretty damned smokey; and, yeah, several types of smoked lagers. You've got three weeks, is what I'm saying: go find a smoked beer.

Because I'm not going to tell you that you have to like them, how you have to drink them, or whether you can have an expensive one or where it has to be from. But I do insist that if you blog on this Session, that you drink a smoked beer that day.

Which I'm sure means that some of you will fail to do that and proudly blog about it and have what you think is a real good reason. I swear, it's like trying to push string...

Have fun, smoke 'em if you got 'em, and you better get 'em!

11 comments:

Rob said...

That closing statement is the closest I've gotten to proof that Lew Bryson reads my blog.

Anonymous said...

We won't be proudly blogging about it, but since Beer-O-Vision likes to do video Sessions, and we can't really force our camera guy to film, drink and edit all in one night... we can pretend it's the future, though. Hopefully there will be hovercars by then.

Barry M said...

Hmm. My research will have to be done in advance, but I will certainly drink several on the day I push the publish button. Will that pass me? :D

Lew Bryson said...

Oh, hell, I'm a reasonable man.

Rob, you great scary ostrich, I only read your blog under doctor's orders. Dr. Beer Nut, for instance.

Alan said...

Hey - I actually may have one in the stash that I have never had before, Spezial. Why do I crave Islay malts but not rauchbier?

Barry M said...

Alan, then you should try this one. :D

Would that be the Spezial märzen, weissbier or lagerbier you have?

Alan said...

I will have to check but I believe it is the lagerbier.

Brian Yaeger said...

I think it's funny that I don't go gaga over DIPAs or sour beers, but I love 'em smoked. This is the style Session I've been waiting for, and will bust out a veritable parade so smokey, it'll make the Bandit, the Bear, and Cheech & Chong jealous.

Lew Bryson said...

There, you lazy boogers: Brian's going to do multiple smokers!

Anonymous said...

Here's my entry...

GISBREWMASTER said...

Hi Lew,

Thanks for hosting here is my post.
http://aworldofbrews.blogspot.com/2009/04/session-26-smokeem-if-you-got-em.html

GISBREWMASTER
Matt C.