The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wheat Beer Breakfast II

After last year's Wheat Beer Breakfast at the Grey Lodge, Scoats asked me to come back and do it again. I agreed, and it's looking better than ever this year (and just got a nice mention in today's Inquirer, thank you). Here are the beers, with suggested food pairings from the pay-as-you-go menu:

Ayinger Brau Weisse - Banana Walnut Pancakes
Flying Fish Imperial Espresso Porter (not a wheat beer, admittedly, but breakfast needs coffee) - Cream Chipped Beef over Home Fries
Franziskaner Dunkelweisse - Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Harpoon Catamount Maple Wheat - Buttermilk Pancakes with Maple Syrup
Penn Weizenbock - Spicy Egg wrap with cheddar and fresh salsa.
Philadelphia Walt Wit - Banana Walnut Pancakes
Ramstein Winter Wheat - Spicy Egg wrap with cheddar and fresh salsa.
River Horse Double White - Banana Walnut Pancakes
Sly Fox Royal Weisse - Banana Walnut Pancakes
Victory Sunrise Weissbier - Banana Walnut Pancakes

I'll be there to talk to you about the beers, mingle and blather, not tweet, and try to re-create the wheat beer breakfast mini-lecture that everyone thought was so great last year (that I spun completely off-the-cuff and can't remember a word of). Should be fun -- again! -- and then, if you'd like, you can keep the party going by joining me at another delish beer/food event in Northeast Philly, the German beer/meat sampling at the Blue Ox Bistro and Rieker's Meats.

11 comments:

Steven said...

"Franziskaner Dunkelweisse - Chocolate Chip Pancakes"

Whoa! Oh to be in Philly, now that Spring is here...

Kevin said...

Lew,

What do you make of the River Horse Double White? My wife and I visited the brewery last year and were quite pleased with it. It was the first time that we had it and we wound up buying some more for home. It's no Allagash or Sterkins, but I would continue to drink it.

Lew Bryson said...

I like the Double White quite a bit, and thought it was great evidence that the brewery had significantly changed course.

Anonymous said...

I Logve that Penn Weizenbock, ran into a few big bottles of it at a local deli in NEPA.... Damn tasty, chewy....mmmmmmm....aahhhhh.....

Matt said...

If the Double White provided great evidence that River Horse has changed course, then the Oatmeal Milk Stout closed the case entirely.

It makes me happy as a Central NJ guy to buy stuff from the closest production brewery to my house without feeling like I am losing out on quality.

hiikeeba said...

I'll have the Porter and gravy and taters, thanks.

That is an interesting menu. I may have to got to Philly next year, instead of NHC.

Anonymous said...

That list seems monotonous without any savory dishes. Where's the weisswurst & pretzels?

Lew Bryson said...

Well, if we were only doing German wheat beers, you might have a point. But creamed chipped beef is plenty savory; put pepper on it like a Pennsylvania Dutchman, and you'll be good to go.

Josh said...

Lew,
Do you recommend showing up right at 9 or can we arrive a little later (around 11) and still have plenty of time before going over to the Blue Ox at 2?

Lew Bryson said...

Josh,
It's really a drop-in thing, but...judging from what I've been hearing tonight (and the mention in the Inky, and City Paper, and a couple foodie blogs), this is going to be a popular event. So it might take a while to get a table. I dunno.

Brooke said...

Great breakfast Lew!