The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Parker's Golden Anniversary

In advance of more detailed tasting notes, I do want to make you aware of the next release in the Parker's Heritage Collection line from Heaven Hill. This one is called Parker's Golden Anniversary, and celebrates Parker Beam's 50 years at Heaven Hill. Parker created this 50% ABV bottling by taking whiskey distilled in each decade he was at Heaven Hill -- and yes, that means there is a very small amount of 40 year old bourbon in here. Not to worry, it was taken from the bottom floor of a relatively cool warehouse, and like I said, a very small amount. There are 4,500 bottles, selling at $150 each (retail, God knows what it will be once it hits eBay).

But you want to know how it tastes. Well, I had a bit at the Malt Advocate staff party Friday night, an annual event I usually say nothing about, because it's just our party. But this whiskey was exceptional, and I'm looking forward to tasting it with a clean, fresh palate. Just to give you an idea of how good it is, Cathy's never shown any interest in bourbon before. She sipped some Friday night, and the next morning, when she saw my sample bottle that had arrived in the mail, asked me if we could take it along with us to the Selinsgrove Fest. She liked it. Life-changing stuff.

3 comments:

Jay said...

That sounds WAY better than the only other "Golden Anniversary" that I have ever drank.

Lew Bryson said...

HA! Hell of a lot more expensive, eh?

sam k said...

I agree, Lew, the taste I had on Friday at the bash was quite impressive, even when compared directly to last year's Parker's, which was Malt Advocate's American Whiskey of the Year. Shows what vatting can do for any aged spirit, not just scotch.

Good party, BTW, eh?