The Full Bar - all my pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saranac Rye IPA



Just a short note about this Saranac Rye IPA I'm enjoying...frankly, it's short because I'm whupped. I've been up since 5:30 AM, shopping, running errands, cooking, shoveling snow (we've got about 10-11" right now, and it's finally starting to slack off)...and I'm about done.

So, the Rye IPA. It's quite brisk, almost light for an IPA, and it definitely has that rye feel to it: spicy/minty, a touch astringent, and yet ... 'oily' in a way on the finish. The hops are there to cut and carry -- Saaz and Hallertau in an IPA; how...Victorious -- and I think this would probably be a great beer with bluefish...I do love bluefish, and it's so hard to find a beer that's good with it.

For now, though...I'm drinking this beer with snow. And that's working, too.

7 comments:

John Hansell said...

You love bluefish? Why didn't you tell me? I cought dozens this year--and threw them all back. I like them--great fighters--but you gotta eat them fresh. The meat is very soft and doesn't freeze well.

You are welcome to join me next year. We can go out and catch them, cook them up, and have whatever beer you want to drink with them.

Lew Bryson said...

Seriously? I LOVE bluefish! So few people do. And you're right, they don't freeze worth a damn. You're on!

(Can you bring a sixtel on a boat?)

John Hansell said...

I am 100% serious. Bluefish are great! You just gotta keep them on ice, eat 'em fresh, and cut out the dark meat. And they are one of the best fighting fish in the ocean. They are basically like really big piranhas (sp?). Sharp teeth and jaws like an alligator. I have the scars to prove it. Bit right through my fingernail.

Would post up pictures, but don't think I can in the comment section here. Maybe a future guest blog posting on STAG?

Not sure about the sixtel. But we could organize a growler or two...

John Hansell said...

They usually show up on the Jersey coast in the spring,but they didn't really show themselves this past year in large quantities until the fall. When they show up in 2010, I'll give you a call.

John Hansell said...

Bluefish is the IPA or the Straight Rye or the peaty Islay of the fish world. I am not surprised at all that you like them.

---Guy said...

Count me in! I grew up eating bluefish. We'd catch them out of the surf at Ocean City MD when I was a kid, along with flounder. Great eating. We'd also pull in lots of sand sharks and the occasional blowfish (didn't eat those).

It was years later I learned most people consider bluefish to be trash fish. I haven't had any in years, but I do remember how good they are.

Unknown said...

Rye IPA might be the best in the Saranac Winter Beer 12 pack. Although....the Maple porter was good with dessert. I have no bluefish reference.....