The Full Bar - all my pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

My dad: another update

For those of you who have asked: my dad's still doing well. He's responding very well to his regimen of chemotherapy, and his pancreatic cancer is currently in check. His doctor continues to remind him that the therapy is not curative, and the most we can hope for is some time, with a good quality of life. At this point, 16 months post-diagnosis, I'd say he's done pretty well on that point. He's eating well, maintaining his weight (it's up from November), and feels pretty good. He was out shoveling snow this week (as we all were around here).

I continue to pray for him. I had a time recently when I thought about having the courage to pray for a miracle, a cure. I realized, finally, that in the light of what I told you above...we already have one. The medicine's working very, very well. I'm thankful for that.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great News! He is an example to us and living as normally as possible is part of his success. Every time I'm here, I say a little quick prayer for him. My step mother fought a long and brave battle with cancer. Her motto was "Give up? I don't think so!" Sounds like he feels the same.

Lew Bryson said...

Actually, my dad's motto is more like "I'll give up when I want to"! I don't think he plans to fight to the end. I think he plans to fight till it gets undignified, and then let go, which is pure Sir.
Thanks, for your prayers and your support.

bill mc said...

That's really great news, looks like he'll make it to his grandson's graduation, eh?

Lew Bryson said...

Got our fingers crossed, Bill.

Sam Komlenic said...

Way ta go Dad! Every minute is a gift, and no one knows that as much as Lew Sr.

Keep it rolling, buddy!

THOMAS CIZAUSKAS said...

I don't know your father, but just from your post, I know that he is a courageous man. My thoughts for him, you, and your family.

Bill C. said...

Lew, we thank you for having the courage to tackle this subject. I think we can see where you get that clear-headed courage! Your Dad has a lot to be proud of, which equates to a drive to fully experience every day. Cheers to Lew Sr.!

RICH said...

Reminds me so much of my dad. And he survived and managed multiple cancers, as you know, for 15 years, strong and stubborn for every one of those years. Bully for your dad and you!

Dave said...

Lew,

That's great to hear. I lost my Mom to Pancreatic cancer five years ago. It was 10 days from diagnosis to death. Keep fightin' the good fight.

Fred Schellenberg said...

So sorry to read this, but I can see thatyour dad still fighting and enjoying life. He and you family are in my prayers.
Fred