The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Yes, there is a Philly Rum Week!

I like beer, you know that. I like whiskey, you know that, too. But I also like rum, more than any other spirit after whiskey, and a few friends in Da Biz know it...which is how I found out about National Rum Day -- August 16, next Thursday -- Philly Rum Week -- all next week -- and Duke's Surf Bar.

First, some caveats. Philly Rum Week is in no way like Philly Beer Week. It ain't as big. It ain't as compellingly natural. And no rum distillers or limited release rums will be coming to town -- it is a spirit, after all, so that would require cooperation from the brain-shot PLCB...which ain't happening.

Second, National Rum Day is just barely organized. There is no umbrella website, for instance, and most of the stuff Da Google comes up with is from last year's National Rum Day. It's just some rum bars and rum makers sending out press releases (like the people at Cruzan, who sent me the picture above, and are sending me a sample of the aged white, because I asked, because it's, like, one of my favorite rum brands (along with Rhum Clement, who haven't sent me samples...) and I haven't had that one), and having events.

Finally, I hate "pop-up" bars and restaurants and such. So precious, so "I knew about this," so exclusive -- in the 'non-inclusive' sense of the word. That's why I never write about them, or food trucks. I know, that makes me a curmudgeon, but that's how it is. Yeesh.

Okay? Got all that? Well, forget it, because Philly Rum Week is silly and fun and I'm into it; why would you expect National Rum Day to be organized; and Duke's Surf Bar is totally a tiki bar pop-up at Rum Bar, and I'm all over that. It's rum, even I'm going to lighten up and have some fun with it.

So next Thursday, I'll be at Rum Bar -- er, Duke's Surf Bar for some tiki drinks served up by my mixologist buddy Katie Loeb of Han Dynasty (she's going full-bore tiki for the night), then I'll be sliding my way over to Cuba Libre (where they apparently don't even know it is National Rum Day, but who cares?) for some more rummy fun, after which I'll probably wind up the night at the Khyber or Triumph or Eulogy...cuz, you know...I like beer.

And I am definitely taking the train this time!

5 comments:

Dirty Duck said...

Hey Lew,
Big fan of your work, also a big beer/rum fan as well.

Is there a beer that you enjoy that gives you molasses notes?

Thanks, and hope to be at the duke's pop-up bar as well.

Anonymous said...

Rum? I didnt know there was such a thing. I thought it was called "captain" as in "captain and coke" what i hear so many 20 somethings saying.

chuck in fl said...

Hi Lew,
Since you like rum, you may want to check out Florida Caribbean Distillers in Auburndale, Fl. They have two very large distilleries in Florida that each rival the size of Beam's Clermont facility. You would be surprised at their output and the types of products they produce.

Unknown said...

mmmmmm, cruzan single barrel :-)

Anonymous said...

Actually, Cuba Libre DOES know that it's National Rum Day. They're offering half-priced rum and rum cocktails during happy hour.