The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Updated Philly Beer Week: what I'm doing, what I'm not doing

UPDATE: the Philly Beer Week calendar is updated and working; thanks to all involved. Here is what I'm doing, and what I am NOT doing, all in one spot.

First off, I am not doing the Main Line Beer Tour. I'm disappointed, but we just couldn't pull things together in a timely manner: there's a lot involved in a multi-stop tour. Next year: better planning, better ideas, better event. If you saw the event and planned to attend, I apologize.

What I am doing starts on Saturday, March 8th. I'll be hosting a Breakfast of Beer Champions, an all wheat beer brunch at the renowned Grey Lodge Pub in Northeast Philly. That starts at 11 AM. So far the only thing that's definite is syrup for your pancakes made from reduced Victory Moonglow...but I think you'll agree that it's a hell of a start. Price: pay as you go.

That night I'll be presenting "Porter v. Stout: a bright dark line" at the Tria Fermentation School. I'll be taking everything I've learned from reading Ron Pattinson and Martyn Cornell's excellent blogs and spreading the New Word on the evolution of porter and stout, the differences between them, and generally celebrating the differences and diversity of the spectrum of dark ales. Starting time is 6:30 -- plenty of time to get in a little education before heading out. Price: ticket, TBD

Sunday March 9th will see me back at the Grey Lodge for an Upstate Beer and Game Dinner. Scoats has found a source for game, which we think will make a great pairing and match-up for beers from an array of small breweries from upstate Pennsylvania that only the author of Pennsylvania Breweries could bring you. Price: ticket, TBD

I'm working on putting together an event for Monday night ... more about that later this week. Should be fun, at a venue which has been slipping in some very interesting beers under the Philly Beer Radar.

I may or may not have an event Wednesday: again, more later.

Thursday is a big night for you fellow fans of lager: Executive brewer Jay Misson and I are putting together a big Pilsner Gala at Triumph Old City. We'll have at least two pilsners from Triumph, including their luscious Kellerbier, at least one pilsner from Sly Fox, Victory, and Troegs, and Carol Stoudt said she'd try to get us a special keller version of Stoudt's Pils. That's what we've got so far...we're working on more. While you delight in the astonishing variation in this vastly under-regarded beer type, feast on authentic German schmankerl, the beer hall snacks we love so much. This will run from 6 to 10 PM: pay as you go.

Friday I'm staying home to watch my daughter in her school play. Any brewers or distillers want to donate anything for the fund-raiser?

My last event is Sunday the 16th: an all-Pennsylvania beer brunch at Fork. Naturally I'm excited to be doing a beer event at one of Philly's top restaurants. I hope you'll be able to join us before calling an end to your Philly Beer Week; we start at 11. Price: TBD

That's what I have so far. I hope to have at least one more event, hopefully one in the suburbs. Please remember: this is Philly Beer Week's first year. We hope to have more people and more venues involved next year, and we will inevitably be more organized next year. Figuring out all this stuff the first time is tough, and we're learning as we go. I hope you can join me for at least one of my events; please contact the venues for more information about times, places, and costs.

5 comments:

Matthew D Dunn said...

The Upstate Beer and Game Dinner sounds great. Wish I could make it. I'd love to hear which beers you'll be bringing.

Lew Bryson said...

Once we get specific beers lined up, I'll be posting. Should be good.

Anonymous said...

flying in from l.tahoe thurs.evening, would love to stop by triumph for the pilsners !! my favorite style of beers !!! 3tops:
prima,pikeland & stoudts.....would be wonderful to try a keller version of the wonderful "bready" pils stoudts gives us !!

Anonymous said...

Looks like lots of great events. I am disappointed to see the Real Ale (Cask) event at Yards is no longer on the calendar. Hopefully you can get something lined up for out here in the 'burbs.

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI, the Real Ale Festival will be held at Triumph this year as Yards is not yet ready. We're going to make it a joint effort. There will be plenty of room and lots of pins and firkins too.

Cheers!