The Full Bar - all my pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

KBF: Day Two, mini-notes

It was a long day. I did work and errands in the morning, then went to the Boubon Hall of Fame to see my friend Chuck Cowdery get inducted into the Bourbon Hall of Fame. Then I was going to take a nap, but my editor reminded me I had a story due, so I wrote 2,000 pretty damned good words in two hours.

Then I went to Heaven Hill's Bourbon, Cigars and Jazz event, which was very cool, and I talked to a very open Craig Beam. How many days of rye are you mashing now? Craig's answer: about 12. Remember, as little as three years ago, Heaven Hill was mashing a day or two of rye a year. Now it's twelve. How cool is that?

Anyway, then I came back to the motel and hung out with the Buffalo Trace production folks, drinking, telling stories, and laughing really hard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bout some news on WL Weller.
They make some great stuff.

Lew Bryson said...

Well, I can only tell you that 1) the Weller 12 was what I was drinking last night, and 2)the Weller line is getting a packaging overhaul. But don't expect a lot of tinkering with the line, or any major expansion of territory: Buffalo Trace just doesn't have the whiskey stocks to blow the doors off anything just yet. I can also tell you that I thought this year's William Larue Weller in the Antique Collection was frickin' outstanding.

The Professor said...

Nice to hear they are upping the Rye production at least a bit. Still love Rye whiskey better than just about any other.