The Full Bar - all my pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Finger Lakes Distilling goes Irish

Very interesting: in what I think is a first (which probably means it isn't, but you try keeping up with every new craft distiller!), Finger Lakes Distilling is releasing a "pure pot still whiskey" on Black Friday. I checked, and yes, they mean a whiskey with a mashbill of malted and unmalted barley, like Midleton uses in Redbreast and blends into Jameson.

This whiskey is made predominately from local unmalted barley and is aged in our used Bourbon and Rye barrels giving it a smooth, sweet flavor profile (much like an Irish Whiskey).  McKenzie Pure Pot Still Whiskey is bottled at 80 proof.   
How about that? American craft distillers continue to try new things, put their twist on them. Gotta like that. Check these guys out, and say hi.

6 comments:

beerprole said...

I recently bought my father a bottle of Green Spot, a limited edition pure pot still Irish whisky made at Midleton for Mitchell & Son Wine Merchants.

I bought it principally for the name (he's Dr Mitchell and I'm his son) but it was really very nice, perhaps even my favourite Irish whiskey after preferring Powers for many years. Redbreast's a good one too.

Nick

Lew Bryson said...

Green Spot's delicious, Nick, and your father's a lucky man.

David said...

Another reason to visit is the beautiful view they have over Seneca Lake.

The Beer Nut said...

Ah Green Spot. Stone cold classic.

The Irish distilleries have just dropped "pure pot still", however. "Single pot still" is the new designation.

Lew Bryson said...

Indeed; and I'm embarrassed to say that it's probably because of U.S. regulations..

The Beer Nut said...

If it's the US market that's driving the current boom in Irish whiskey variety and innovation, you can call it "East-Kentucky Bourbon" for all I care.