The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks: "three in the tanks."

News from Millheim, PA: Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks is "actually going to happen," Tim Bowser tells me. They've got TTB approval, his brewer, Tim Yarrington, best-known for his award-winning beers at the Long Valley brewpub in NJ, has three beers in the tanks, and the PLCB inspection is on Thursday.

The place looks great, too. Tim sent the picture you see, and said Tim has "turned it into a very sophisticated facility."
Millheim's a long way out there, probably easiest to reach from State College. But it's worth the trip just for the scenery, and it's a cute little town, too. And now...it's got a brewpub. We should have word on the actual opening soon; you'll see it here. Brewpubs springing up in the beautiful rural back-country of Pennsylvania: Spring House, One Guy, Elk Creek, Voodoo, Sprague, North Country, and I hear that someone's re-opened...no, we'll do a separate post for that one. You're just not going to believe it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing your hinting at Jack's Mountain, it already reopened as Cowboy Jack's Brewery. As of right now they are not brewing (macros and Appalachian products on tap) but that may change depending on the condition of the equipment that's been sitting in storage for the last 2-3 years.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Yarrington? Hope he has more success and is shown more love than he received at Times Square-NY (RIP).

Lew Bryson said...

Agreed, Loren. The situation at Times Square was both ridiculous and shameful. Bet he's glad to be well out of that.

Lew Bryson said...

Right in one, Bill. Can't wait to get the full story on this strange situation...

Anonymous said...

Well, I stand corrected on Millheim. Looks great, and I'll be stopping by later this week for an update. I hope this works out for them.

As goes Cowboy Jack's, I spoke with the present owner prior to the purchase, and she is well aware of the cantankerous and hard to clean beast in her basement. Don't know if she can locate a handler for that oen or not!

Lew, I'm headed to the Lion Oktoberfest in two weeks. Any chance One Guy will be open for a drive-by?

Anonymous said...

Aw, I was hoping Mount Nittany!


One question:

Did they buy it on e-bay?

P.S. Lew, I know you shut down the Sam Adams Imperial Pilsener thread, but I FINALLY found it. Had one with dinner...now bear in mind I'm not an IPA'er (in fact, its my least favorite style) but this was pretty darned good..I got a smoky flavor with my chicken.

Matthew D Dunn said...

This is great news. Central PA rocks!

Anonymous said...

sam k:

Nope, I won't be open yet, but if you let me know when you'd be coming by I probably could show you the place. You can email me at pennbrew2_@_aol.com (remove the underscores)