The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Toast to Michael Jackson

On Sunday, September 30th, at 9:00 PM Eastern, we're raising a glass to Michael Jackson, and raising money in his name for the National Parkinson's Foundation.

We now have a list up of bars and brewpubs that are participating; see the window-widget over on the left side of the page.

If you are a bar or brewpub owner, and would like to join in, go here for the information, and a template we've made for a flyer/poster, then please add your info by the Upcoming link at that page, or here on mine.

Be generous, folks: this is for Michael, the guy without whom a lot of this would not have happened. As Tom Peters, of Monk's Cafe, said to me, "I'd really like to be able for us to hand a check for $100,000 to the Foundation in Michael's name." (Tom's donating the evening's profits at Monk's, and will be passing the hat for direct donations as well.)

There will be other, ongoing opportunities to honor Jackson's name and legacy, but this one, as Sam Calagione said, is from the heart. Here's to Michael. See you on the 30th.

7 comments:

Steven said...

Gonna see what's planned for the parallel in my locale.

Stonch said...

Unfortunately that'll be 2am in the morning on Monday here in London, where Michael lived. I'm sure anything parallel is planned here in his home country but will endeavour to find out.

Lew Bryson said...

Steven,
We're hoping to have a webpage up soon that lists all the participating venues...maybe. It's all moving pretty quickly.

Stonch,
We talked about doing a worldwide toast, but timing just got too complicated. As it is, 9 PM on the East coast, on a Sunday night, is getting iffy for we work-obsessed Amurricans. So we figured, this is what we're doing here, hopefully Europe will do their own. I kind of hope that at least some people in Europe will make a whisky toast; Michael wasn't just about beer, after all.
Hell, Stonch, you're an international blogger of influence; start something!

Alan said...

Stonch and I are working on something, Lew.

Anonymous said...

If I can't find a toast locally, I will raise a glass personally at 9 PM.

Is there someplace I can send my donation if there is no local toast??

Thanks.

Lew Bryson said...

You bet, Bill: you can send a check to this address (just remember to put "Tribute to Michael Jackson" on the memo line!)--

National Parkinson Foundation, Inc.
ATTN: Kay Houghton
Office of Development
1501 NW 9th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33136-1494

Steven said...

Man, if I don't see an Illinois (or Wisconsin) tavern on the list soon, I may have to open up my home to the toast!