The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Straub Unafraid of the Dark

Straub Brewery's made one of their boldest moves in years (on the public side; they've actually made some very bold moves inside the brewery in the past few years -- new tanks, new kettle, new bottling line -- but who ever notices that stuff except you and me?): Peter Straub Special Dark beer.

Really, a 'dark' beer from Straub. Here's more of the story from the Ridgway Record (thanks to reader Mark Benson for the heads-up):
“Tom Straub, our brewmaster, has been playing around with the recipe for a while,” said Dan Straub, president of Straub Brewery. “We sampled it at the Tasting in the Wilds in Ridgway and got pretty good reviews.”

The beer, which was influenced by the boch [sic] beer previously sold by Straubs, has been altered in flavor and potency. The president said if he were to make a comparison, the new brew would be on par with Yuengling.

Although slightly more expensive than the light and premium brews offered at Straubs, folks have been flocking to the brewery and local restaurants to give the dark brew a taste.

“This beer is our answer to the rise in craft brewing market. A lot of people are trying different beers. We’re trying to open up an option for them to try something from our brewery that is a little different,” said Straubs Sales Representative Gene Williams.

I assume the "Yuengling" the new 'dark' beer is on par with is Yuengling Lager; dark mainly by comparison with Coors Light, but still. Love to give this new beer a try, but for now it's only in draft; the brewery hopes to have bottles soon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lew,

I was at the tasting in Ridgway for the rollout, and also at the George Thorogood concert Straub sponsored at Treasure Lake in DuBois (a fabulous show by the self-proclaimed but not far off the mark 'world's best bar band). The new beer is darker in color than Yuengling lager, more a porter-ish color; light-to-medium body, a little toasted grain and some toffee on the palate. Very drinkable (in the Straub tradition) and a nice complement to their current product line. You'll have to trek northwards for a taste!

Lew Bryson said...

Oh, good. So more like Yueng Porter. Good for them. I hope to trek at some point; when I do, maybe we'll have to gather the troops and check out some of the new places in central PA. Thanks for the report, Sam; shoulda known you'd be all over it.

andy said...

I'm looking forward to trying it too, but if they want to do something truly bold, they'll get rid of their green bottles. The difference between their green and brown returables is night and day.

Matthew D Dunn said...

Go Straub! I can't wait to try this beer. A couple years ago I whined about the old bock bottles in the brewery, "you guys should brew a bock again." I guess they finally got sick of hearing that from everybody.

Can't believe I'm seeing the Ridgway Record on the internet. What's next? The Johnsonburg Press?

Lew Bryson said...

Can't believe I'm seeing the Ridgway Record on the internet.

My thoughts exactly. It's like a whole new chapter in freedom of the press. Everyone, around the world, can read everything...even the bad writing.

Anonymous said...

Now in 12 oz. NR bottles...

Anonymous said...

Straub website indicates Straub Dark now in bottles. When Straub Dark hit the news i called the Lancaster master distributor (Kirchner) for my area and they didnt know anything about it. Called back a few weeks later and they just received their first order of kegs. I bought a quarter for a party and everyone enjoyed it. To my knowledge, none of my guests had ever tried any Straub products before. Nice dark amber color, thick head, very drinkable but more of mainstream lager than a craft micro. One thing, the keg had a band on the neck from Miller Brewing. I suppose Miller is contract brewing Straub Dark (at least the 1/4s).

Anonymous said...

Peter Straub's Dark Special has been available in bottles since December. Tom Straub told me that they are projecting about 3000 bbl for the first year. Dan Straub told me the launch of the dark has proven more successful than the launch of Straub's light over a decade ago. I've tasted the bottled variety, which is pasteurized, unlike the kegged variety. It is not an award winner by any means, but it's sure to appeal to loyal Straub drinkers.

Lew Bryson said...

I haven't posted about Groundhog Day at the Grey Lodge, but Straub Dark was the first beer I had that morning: good stuff! Definitely had the coffee/chocolate thing going -- lightly, but there -- and I would have had more, but there were other beers to try. Good to hear they've got a potential winner.