The Full Bar - all my pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

My Last Portfolio Column is Up

As you likely know, I've been writing a bi-weekly beer column for Portfolio.com, the content website for Conde Nast Portfolio. It's been fun, I've learned a lot about business writing, and I made some good coin.

But, all good things come to an end. I had a year contract, and it's up, and it wasn't renewed. Not because of me, they assured me, but they're re-focusing the magazine. Well, "Beer" always seemed a weird fit anyway, and I figured it was there mostly because senior editor (and good beer convert) Ken Wells wanted it there.

So I've got an open-ended freelancer contract they sent me, and an encouragement to do some features, which I'll probably take advantage of. Meantime, here's my last column, a piece on the politics of "energy beers." And in the only real complaint I've had all year...they did take out my sharpest bit of politics. But we'll let it stand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

Lew Bryson said...

Thanks, John. I knew that would pull you out of the "woodwork." You've been pinged...again. And with the help of Google, BeerAdvocate, and Wikipedia, we should have enough for a "case" now. Cheers, "Mr. Engels."

Bill said...

I liked your column, and I liked some of Portfolio's long features, so if you do get to do longer features for them now and again, that'd be great.

Anonymous said...

I, too have enjoyed all of your Portfolio columns, but even to my biased eye for your writing, I always thought it WAS an unusual fit with that magazine (and why just the website and not the actual print mag, I'll never know....). But, now you can take advantage of the freelancer contract and offer them some lengthier, rich, colorful writing that you do in in your books. How about something about your recent exploration of wines? Or your travels into the heart of beer culture in Germany? Maybe a trip to Pilsn?