The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Flying Fish Imperial Espresso Porter

I interviewed Flying Fish owner Gene Muller just about a year ago for the entry in New Jersey Breweries. We had a real good interview, and at the end, Gene says he knows I've had most of their beers, and knows I liked the (discontinued) Porter; how about you try this bottle of the new Imperial Espresso Porter? Cool, I said, thanks...took the bottle home, put it in the fridge for later, and promptly forgot it.

Hey, I forgot a growler for three months one time!

So tonight I happened on it as I was grilling turkey "tenderloins" for dinner. What the hell, let's pop it. Why did I wait so long? This baby was delish: not so much espresso as milk chocolate, sweet and darkly malty like an Okocim Porter without the beefy body. Drinkable, not sickly sweet -- more like cake sweet, cookie sweet -- and with enough complexity to keep it interesting. Cathy and I enjoyed it without any hesitation. I'll be looking for more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, do you think its avaialable in NY or just in NJ?

Lew Bryson said...

Take a look, Bill:

http://www.flyingfish.com/distribution/

No Fish in New York. I'm surprised, but there you are. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Well, ain't that a bummer, looks like its Canals next weekend for me.

Unknown said...

I sympathize with your plight Bill. I'm in Newtown PA and none to be found here either. Called J C's and the Flying Fish Imperial Espresso Stout, Stoudt's Smooth Hoperater, Southampton Double White are all on order but not in. At least they had Mad Elf locally today.

Anonymous said...

Had it on tap at Ron's Original and it was delish.