The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

IPA Lunch at Isaac Newton's in Newtown

I've lived about 2 miles from Isaac Newton's in Newtown, an excellent beer bar, for over 15 years. I've been a beer writer full time since 1996, and I've hosted events at places near and far. But I've only ever done one event at Isaac's, which does seem odd.

Odd no more: I'm now doing a "Lunch with Lew" series with them, and the first one is in three weeks, on September 26th, from 12 to 1:30. The idea is to have a lunch centered on a particular 'style' of beer (for now, anyway; we may change that), sample some exceptional examples, and have an informal table-talk discussion of the type of beer, the particular beers we're tasting, and...whatever else lunch might lead us to think about. Beer is digressive in nature, as Michael Jackson often observed.

What's on the agenda for the first one? India Pale Ales, and we've got six good ones lined up: Meantime IPA, Stone IPA, Sly Fox Route 113 IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, Yards Cape of Good Hope IPA, and Green Flash West Coast IPA. Complementing the beers will be a spicy jerk chicken sandwich served with an arugula salad topped with red onions, oven roasted tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, caramelized walnuts and dried fruits dressed with fresh cracked pepper oil. Plenty of jazz for your jaws, folks, an exciting lunch.

Reservations are required: the lunch, with beers, is $30. Call Isaac's at 215-860-5100 to book yours now. See you there. (Just heard from Brad at Isaac's: tickets are selling well, and this should sell out soon. Thanks, folks!)

4 comments:

Bill said...

Sounds like a nice event except for that IPA part.

Tim Hyland said...

Seems like a great event, Lew. And a great bar, too.

Syllogism said...

I have vague recollections of attending an event with Scoats in the mid to late 90s upstairs at the old I.N's (ie before the fire) I thought that you lead the event and pulled a fast one by doing a blind taste testing and including Yuengling Lager in the tasting..

Lew Bryson said...

Yeah, that's the one; it was upstairs, and I do recall slipping Lager in there. Good memory; because I didn't really think it was that memorable an event!
I've gotten better...