The Full Bar - all my pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

One Guy's Beer Garden and Pizzeria: now open!

I asked when the PLCB would relent and let Guy Hagner bring his mad pizza skills to the world at One Guy Brewing -- Guy's a great brewer, but he's an inspired and fanatic pizza maker -- after we saw what he'd done with the back lot the day of Gary Bredbenner's funeral.

I'm happy to say that the answer is "Now." Guy called me this morning to confirm that they received their notice from the PLCB on Tuesday that the new area is approved, and the pizza kitchen is good to go. Guy and new partner Tom Clark immediately fired up the oven for an impromptu party and surprise opening, and Guy said it's been slamming ever since. With a view like this, can you blame the good citizens of Berwick? The garden is now open, Thursday through Sunday.

I'll tell you... Full hours on Saturday and Sunday, and both days are supposed to be gorgeous: mid-80s, plenty of sun, low humidity. The pizza's just freakin' excellent, the beer's cold, and the price is right. I won't be there tomorrow, but I'm going to be working hard at getting there Sunday. (Not happening; forgot we're taking my parents out for dinner, their 57th anniversary!)

A strange pastiche: snapshots of the beer garden, while sitting at the bar in the tasting room.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will he be changing the name of the place to reflect the second guy? -rimshot-

Lew Bryson said...

I hope not...there's only one Guy!

Anonymous said...

Tremendous news! I count myself among the lucky to be only a 25 min. drive from One Guy. Truly wonderful beers, wonderful atmosphere, and now I can finally get some of the wonderful pizza that you've been promoting Lew!

Brooke said...

Enjoying an Ironbound Ale and a pizza at Iron Hill made me want to visit One Guy AND kick myself for still not making to to Earth Bread! Well, my husband and I took a ride up there at Noon on a Sunday only to learn that they open at 4.

RICH said...

You keep referring to Guy as "Gary". Did it in this post. You did it in your excellent story about Gary B.'s wake, too. Guess, like with me, it's hard to Gary out of your mind.

Lew Bryson said...

Holy crap, Rich, you're right. Funny how the mind works. I've fixed it, thanks.

stingo said...

The pizza, like the beer, was excellent - even more reason to pay a visit to Guy's.