The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

New poll at the PLCB blog: how about that new name?

The PLCB is reportedly going to change the names of the "Wine & Spirits Shoppes" to something more...well, what? More descriptive? Gonna be tough, although we could certainly lose the "Shoppe" part; something wrong with "Store"? The proposed name was "Table Leaf." No, really, although no one seems to know why (David Snyder at PhilaFoodie opined that the "more logical "China Cabinet" and "Napkin Ring" were already taken." Indeed.

His Governorship Rendell thinks that's a pretty dumb name (Duh!) and has voiced his opposition, but we know what that's worth. I have some anonymous sources in (and recently out) of the PLCB who tell me "Table Leaf" still has the inside track. So I ginned up a poll at the PLCB blog to see what folks think of the idea. Have a look, voice your opinions.

8 comments:

sam k said...

Table Leaf??? You shitting me? How about just "Not Many Wines or Spirits?"

Anonymous said...

I have never heard anyone refer to "State Stores" as "Wine & Spirits Shopppes". PS. If the Gov is looking for money these days why doesnt he sell the Wine & Spirits Shopppes?

Lew Bryson said...

Indeed. I noticed in North Carolina that the signs on their control stores plainly read "ABC Store."

Honesty = good policy.

Table Leaf = bullshit.

Jim L said...

I think what's needed is to have our PA lawmakers take a trip to a Total Wine & More such as the one in Pembroke Pines, FL. I was there recently and I was just amazed at the variety and quantity of beer, wine, and liquor that store sold. I mean, if they saw what I saw, their eyes would light up when they start thinking of all the tax that they could be collecting on increased sales.

Lew Bryson said...

Jim, Jim, Jim... As Joe "CEO" Conti himself said on the PCN call-in show back in March, 'Those stores don't really have a better selection, but they're very good at talking you into buying something else.' (I'm paraphrasing there, because I couldn't type fast enough, but that's about what he said.)

If what you saw doesn't jibe with that, well...you don't have the trained eye he does. After all, his dad owned restaurants, you know!

Jim L. said...

Ok, I'll take some pictures with my cell phone next week when I'm back there. Hmmm, I wonder if my camera has a trained eye?

Brad said...

Table Leaf? Is that supposed to be some boutique-sounding name like Crate and Barrel, intended to make people think they're shopping at some kind of classy, artisanal-products store?

Boy I hope the fine people of PA are a little more savvy than that.

Anonymous said...

There is a Total Wine in Claymont Delaware but that won't get in the way of a junket to FL