The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's late, and I'm tired

Just wanted to let you know why I haven't been blogging recently. Over the weekend I was helping my mother-in-law move out of the home my wife's family lived in for over 40 years (and helping finish off a sixtel of Victory Sunrise Weiss), and there was no Internet connectivity. Monday morning I left at 6 AM for Pittsburgh, visiting Roy-Pitz Brewing, Red Star, and City Brewing on the way to an event at the Teutonia Mannerchor in the evening.

I got in late, and slept till this morning, when I had an excellent breakfast at Pamela's diner (Tex-Mex omelette) and headed up I-79 to Voodoo Brewery, Blue Canoe brewpub, and Sprague Farm & Brew Works. Then I came back down I-79 to an event at the Cultural Trust (taking a quick detour to BrilloBox first, very nice), a session beer session at Beer School. Following that I had a beer at Six Penn Kitchen with Tony Knipling, beer-guy supreme from Vecenie Distributing, and Scott Smith, everything-guy at East End Brewing. We toasted a good situation, and wrapped 'em.

Then I cabbed over to Hofbrauhaus to drink with Sly Fox brewer Brian O'Reilly, his boss John Giannopoulos, and some local beer people they were with. The Dunkel I had was good, but we couldn't stay; the staff told us that the power was being cut off for maintenance (!). We drifted down to the Double-Wide Grille, and to Fat Head's, where I argued that a woman with plenty of beer to choose from will try the varieties. I'm not sure why, by that point. We called it a night, and I came back here. Tomorrow I'll be visiting breweries here in Pittsburgh: Church, East End, Rivertowne Pourhouse, and back to Hofbrau.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Lew,

Enjoyed your Session Beer lecture at Beer School. Didn't get to speak to you, but wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for that Festina Peche... not my style).

Thanks for making the trek out to the Burgh, hope you have a good time today at East End/Rivertowne/ect. Let us know how it goes.

Jeff Vitkun said...

Wow, I'm always amazed at how one man can fit in that many interesting beer trips.

Anonymous said...

How was Blue Canoe & Sprague?

Eli said...

Does the Sly Fox visit to Pittsburgh mean they are planning to re-enter the market here?

sobersam said...

great blog i thought you might like to exchange links? http://sobersam.com is a designated driver service that gets you and your car home from the bar. thanks