The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

Say a prayer for Bill Brand

One of our own, long-time Bay Area reporter and beer writer Bill Brand, is in a coma and listed as critical after being hit by a commuter train. Here's the story, reported on his own blog (shared with a wine writer). It would be a terrible thing at any time, but it's particularly stunning during San Francisco Beer Week.

I've never met Bill, but we've corresponded and I'm a regular reader of his blog. He is one of the best of us, thoughtful, realistic, and sharp-eyed, and just damned enthusiastic and unabashed about the beers he likes. Think good thoughts, wish him luck, pray: whatever it is you do to influence fate, do it. I want to meet Bill Brand.

Tuesday at 1:26: Just read on Jay's blog that Bill's been upgraded to stable. Very good news.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, shit. Bill is a great guy, a real pro. I went bar-hopping with him and his daughter on his last visit to Philly last summer. Be well...

Anonymous said...

very sad...here's hoping he recovers and picks up the pen soon. cheers bill!

Anonymous said...

Prayer said. So sorry to hear this. A sad day indeed.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing, I want to meet Bill Brand and buy him a beer! We will. I've been reading beer blogs tonight, many from my area (northern CA) and as you can imagine, it makes for sad (but heart-warming) reading, this one especially since he was with Bill last night at the 21st Amendment dinner -- http://beerodyssey.blogspot.com/.

Bryan Kolesar said...

I dined with Bill at 21A last Sunday night and the last thing he said to me was, "Bryan, I'll see you in Philly!" Bill's a classy guy who epitomizes 'journalist' and I expect to fine with him again soon. It's now 7pm eastern...,to your health Bill and speedy recovery.

Bryan