The Full Bar - all my pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

"A Temple to Breakfast"

We walked across the parking lot of our motel to Walker Brothers' Original House of Pancakes. Wow. I can't say much about this place because it just blew us away. We like going out for breakfast, and we're not easily impressed. These were the best pancakes I've had since the late, lamented Lena's Lunch of White River Junction, VT. Cathy had an apple pancake, which looked like an egg foo yung pancake the size of a metal plate cover, only steaming with fresh apple and Sinkiang cinnamon. It's a signature dish, along with the Dutch Baby. I had the 49ers Flapjacks, three thin, custardy, egg-heavy pancakes that were just crazy delicious. The coffee was excellent, the bacon meaty and delish, and the service perfectly on-pitch.

The building itself? Our host for the weekend, the father of the bride, the renowned Dr. J. George Sarmiento, asked me if we'd got to Walker Brothers, and what did we think? "George, it's a temple to breakfast, the place is a freakin' temple to breakfast!" It was fantastic. I love this area. Chicago still does so many things the east coast has stopped doing out of stupid self-conciousness. Sad. And well worth an annual pilgrimage to Chicagoland. Great to be here, sorry we're leaving tomorrow.

11 comments:

roan22 said...

sounds awesome, I am a pancake fiend myself. I used to love Bob Evans' "Country Griddle Cakes" made with cream of wheat put in the batter!

Also I grew up on corn pancakes made with jiffy corn muffin mix, and homemade buckwheats courtesy of my stepfather when he joined the family. :P

Steven said...

Um, Lew... we have the recipe for the Apple Pancake... if you or Cathy are so inclined! :-)

Lew Bryson said...

Yes, send it, please! And if you've got one for those insanely good 49ers, I'll take that too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you'll be back in a month!

Steven said...

Can't help with the 49ers, but I know what you mean -- they have a mean Eggs Benedict too. And the coffee is a Kona blend, so you can't go wrong there (but wadda we know about coffee, right?).

Anonymous said...

Lew, when I am home, I am a cereal kind of guy. But when I am on the road, I like to go for a good breakfast/brunch--pancakes, french toast, omlettes, extra-crispy fried scrapple, corned beef hash--bring it on!!!

Anonymous said...

Lew if you like Breakfast and happen to be in Chicago you might want to check out Lou Mitchell's

Anonymous said...

"Chicago still does so many things the east coast has stopped doing out of stupid self-conciousness."


Just curious... what do you mean by this statement? I never been to Chicago....

Steven said...

"...you might want to check out Lou Mitchell's"

Oh yeah -- second that. Whiskey Fest my friend, shouldn't be too far from Lou's -- and not far from Blommer's either... ;-)

http://www.blommer.com/default.htm

Anonymous said...

As a native Yunzer, I dig Chicago way more than NYC. It brings all the diversity and metropolism that NYC does, while doing it with a mid-western sensibility that I seem to get a lot betterr. I think it is because Pittsburgh itself has more in common with the Midwest than it does with the east coast. Not that I do not enjoy being in NYC, Boston, DC or even Philly ( lived there for 2 years), but I seem to get Chicago a lot better.

Mike said...

Were you staying in Lincolnshire, IL? I don'y live far from that location. That branch (the Walker Brothers establishments) of the chain is the best, other OPH apple pancakes just don't come close. I was hoping the recipe Steve has is posted someplace. If so, can I get a copy? I have tried countless copy cat recipes. That thing is hard to even get close to in quality.