The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Craft Ale House: I been there

If you're going to put that on your roadside sign, you better have a damned clue about beer. Gary and Melissa Fry have that at the Craft Ale House (708 W. Ridge Ave, Limerick (but every mapping software calls it Royersford, tip to you)), and more. I'm at the bar right now (thanks for that free WiFi, Gary!), and I'll tell you...they've got a clue. I'm looking at a taplist of O'Reilly's Stout, Climax Hoffman Helles, Sly Fox Odyssey, Ommegang Witte, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Pikeland Pils, 90 Minute, Arrogant Bastard, Legacy Fat Boy, Fantome de Noel, Old Horizontal and St. Victorious, Kenzinger, ESA, and Russian River Pliny the Elder and Damnation...they've got a clue. My only argument, of course, is that there are four craft lagers on the damned list! A minor issue, and if pressing it would mean no lagers, well, shut my mouth.

I'm drinking Pliny -- okay, I drank Pliny and now I'm in a pint of O'Reilly's, and both of them were beautiful. I had a quick lunch of grilled shrimp and pineapple with rice in coconut milk that was delicious with the Pliny; funky hop goodies with that grilled pineapple was excellent. Prices seem reasonable, service was good (though, to be fair, on this nasty damned weather day, the place was pretty quiet except for Mr. Dan "Heckler of the Year" Bengel next to me). As Dougie MacArthur said, I shall return.

Another great Philly area opening. We are truly frickin' blessed. Come on , Philly Beer Week!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If ever there was a place you should have called and invited me to join you.... I'm only eight minutes away, my man.

Bitching about four lagers on a list which you were earlier bitching about on my site because you feared the early indicators showed a dearth of session beers? The word dyspeptic comes to mind.

Bengel's always there. I think he considers it an outpatient clinic for whatever it is that's wrong with him.

Anonymous said...

Hey with a hardware store nest to it, what more could you ask, except, where are they in the Philly area?

Lew Bryson said...

It was just a flying trip, Jack, had to get in and out, and you know, if I'd called you, I couldn't have done that. Next time I will -- and you'll be too busy. But that's okay!

As to bitching about the four lagers...I know you recognize having fun when you see it, so I'm going to assume that's what you're doing.

Lew Bryson said...

Bill -- Is that a guy dream, or what? It's out Rt. 422, near Limerick. I'll put the address on, sorry!

David said...

head toward the cooling towers and turn right. *grin*

Alan said...

Thanks for the bloggy equivalent of a kick in my arse reminding me that I live in Canada, home of the bland.

Anonymous said...

Lew,

It was great to sit at the bar with you at lunch, (sat at the far end) and enjoyed my first Pliny. I even got myself in your picture.
I'm sure we will catch up again at the Craft Ale House.

Roger

Anonymous said...

My God, is this April Fools Day? LB b*tching about to maany lagers?

Anonymous said...

and another two things Bryson:

#1 - Have you had Climax Helles? One of the best on this side of the pond imho.

#2 - No call? I live 4.1 miles from that place.

Lew Bryson said...

Matt,
I was on about the name, not the lagers: Craft Ale House. I love and want the lagers, you know dat. I've also been pleased to try most of the Climax line, and was realy happy to see it there.
But like I told Jack: limited time this trip, last minute timing. In the future, count on it: nothing I'd like better than to drive over an hour away and drink up a bunch of big beers with you and Jack...

Lew Bryson said...

Hey, Roger!
That was fun, wasn't it? Might just see you there again, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Ale House sounds better than Lager House.

Lew Bryson said...

"Ale House sounds better than Lager House."

Sez you!

Lew Bryson said...

Pete R.: Sorry, but your comment was waaaay too long for a blog; for my blog, anyway. And I'm not really running a restaurant/bar review forum site. Nothing personal, and I'm certainly not trying to protect the place. Can you cut that down to about five sentences, just hit the highlights? Be glad to post that. Thanks!

Pete Ruckelshaus said...

Stopped by Friday evening, pretty busy. Beer was good (selection could have been a bit broader, but it's a start) but waits for table and food were pretty long; seemed like they are still trying to catch their rhythm, which I'm sure they will. The food was well worth the wait, and we'll be back after they've had a chance to work some kinks out.

Lew Bryson said...

Thanks, Pete!

Unknown said...

I frequent the Craft Ale House. My name is Chad and I work in a grocery store and even I can affort to drink like well informed beer fan. My friends live up the street and I saw the place as it was being converted into what it is now. Today, only less than a year after it's opening, I go in every week to buy beer and enjoy it with my close friends. I have even turned one of them, a Yeungling drinker since his youth, into a man who is curious about the true World of Beer. I may only be 21 years old, turning 22 in a few weeks, but I know good beer and service when I see it. Gary and Melissa, the owners, know me and my tastes, as well as my spirit of adventure for the sampling of beer. A close friend of mine is a home brewer and has been professionaly brewing for 15 years and he even knows the couple. As I type this comment, I am drinking an Ommegang Three Philosophers that I bought from the Craft Ale House. The selection is wide and great with many seasonal beers as well as many year round. I suggest, if you want to dispute my thoughts, stop in for yourself. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the people are as well, both the staff an customers.