The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why We Drink: Not just me

I just saw that Maureen "Ambitious Brew" Ogle linked to my "Why We Drink" post with a thoughtful post of her own. She's good at that: the thoughtful part, that is, though she's very good about linking and giving credit, too.

What's even better is that she got it:

I don't think Lew was advocating drinking to excess, or even making drink the center of one's life. Rather, I think he was expressing frustration at the notion that having a drink is the same thing as being a drunk.
Bingo. And as she says later,

The idiots among us ("Oh, I don't drink. I [don't] need alcohol to have fun.") don't (or won't) understand that good alcohol tastes good, and things that taste good produce pleasure.
That feels good. I mean, having written something that someone else gets so well. It was nice to get linked to on such a deeply thoughtful blog. Which leads up to...I can't believe I didn't link to it before now. I'll fix that.

7 comments:

geoffrobinson said...

Coming off a PATCO train on my way home from Philly, I heard a young man around 20 trying to impress a girl about the same age. His job allows him to get drunk 6 days a week. He said something like "he is living the dream" or it is a "dream job". That is the person who makes people think that I drink in excess because I'm into beer.

If I was into wine or single malt scotch, I don't think that stigma would be there.

Also, I think there is an overlooked factor. People who have alcohol abuse in their background, either their own or someone in their family, are generally the ones who react this way. Part of me want to educate them and part of me understands their overreaction.

Lew Bryson said...

People who have alcohol abuse in their background, either their own or someone in their family, are generally the ones who react this way. Part of me want to educate them and part of me understands their overreaction.

I very much agree. That's a rough spot to be in. Doesn't make it right, but I may fall short on compassion at times in my frustration. Thanks for the gut check.

Steven said...

Yikes, what kind of job allows someone to get drunk -- and six days a week (and under the legal age to drink, though I know that was speculation)?

I agree -- that is the sort of drinker who makes the rest of us look bad.

THOMAS CIZAUSKAS said...

"Why we drink" sounds like a wonderful topic for The Session. Lew? February?

Lew Bryson said...

Actually, Tom, I'm already signed up for The Session in April, and I've vowed to make it a more beer-specific topic. Doesn't mean I can't invite other people to muse about it.

Alan said...

Hold that line, Lew! Beer styles for Beer Sessions!!!

Lew Bryson said...

Oh, Alan, come on: surely you don't expect me to do something as simple as "Tripel." Beer, yes; no airy-fairy stuff. But I think we can do more than just a simple style!