The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Geary's 20th Anniversary Ale (not a session beer!)

David Geary and I have been friends for years; he was one of the first brewers I met. We got to talking the last time I called for an interview -- as we so often do -- and he wound up promising to send me a bottle of his 20th Anniversary Ale, a wee heavy spiked with vanilla. "It's nice," he said.

Well, yeah. I've been meaning to get to this one for about two weeks, and finally did tonight. Shouldn't have waited! There's a hit of vanilla in here that winds up with the malt very nicely up front, then a strong undercurrent of bitterness lifts it and moves it around. Lots of vanilla, cocoa, and malt flavors, really a beer you could sit and puzzle over. I've seen numbers between 7.6% and 8.0% ABV, so it's big, but not huge. If you see any, get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, four posts into it and already breaking out the big alcohol beers. Focus my good man, focus!

Lew Bryson said...

"Mostly, to start with, STAG is going to be a place to start up my Session Beer Project..."

Mostly, I did say mostly!