The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, April 7, 2008

Sam Adams recall: a quick warning -- and new follow-up

Boston Beer has announced a voluntary recall of bottles that may contain small bits of glass. Check all your bottles of Samuel Adams beers for the following code at the base of the bottle: N35 O-I . These are the only numbers that matter: if the bottle has an N35 code, don't drink it, use the website below to get a refund. I got an e-mail from my long-time Boston Beer contact, Michelle Sullivan, on this: "We know that your readers are our drinkers, so we hope you will help us spread the word about this situation." They are right out in front of this.

There's more info at the BBC website, and I have a story up on Portfolio.com. Be safe, people.

Note to those of you who may be wondering about other craft brewers' bottles with N35 O-I codes: I just got an e-mail from Boston Beer brewing manager Grant Wood. Grant says that as far as they know, there is no reason to be concerned about other bottles with the N35 code; the bottle in question is not the generic 12 oz. brown longneck, but a custom-made Boston Beer bottle.

7 comments:

Bill said...

Thanks, Lew. I posted the info on beermapping.com. I have one of the affected bottles. I'll feed my rosebushes with the contents.

Will you be posting on WhiskyFest Chicago?

Lew Bryson said...

Cheers, Bill: don't forget to go to the Sam Adams website: you can get a refund there. What the hell, right: it's your beer money.

Might be posting on Chicago....might not. I'm real freakin' busy right now, though you might not guess that from the blog today!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to what happened to create this situation. I've never known a brewery to not rinse each bottle (upside down) prior to filling, which would seem to eliminate this particular possibility. Kudos to BBC for their quick response, though!

Bill said...

The refund site froze on me, but no worries. It was a mixed pack, and only the Boston Lagers had that code. I've received a hat, t-shirt, and two glasses from them over the years -- don't need to be reimbursed for the one remaining bottle of beer.

Anonymous said...

If there was a defect in the bottle around the crown area, then during crowning a chip of glass could break off in the bottle after it had been filled.

Lew Bryson said...

Sam, Anony,

Indeed. I just got a mail from an experienced regional brewer who preferred not to be identified: he said the defect could easily be something that only appears after the stress of crowning/capping.

Unknown said...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3783293