The Full Bar - all my pages

Monday, December 3, 2007

He's a Hero to Me

I was working downstairs today about an hour after lunch; I had heated up a can of soup. Penderyn comes downstairs, trots over, and nudges me in the thigh; which usually means he's got to go out.

"Do you want to go out?" I asked, expecting him to run for the stairs. He just looks at me, intently, excited and quivering.

"Do you need water?" Quiver.

"Do you want dinner?" (Way too early, but I was baffled at this point.) Quiver!

Okay, I got up, and headed upstairs, Penderyn charging ahead of me. He gets halfway across the kitchen, stops, looks at me, and looks at the stove. I'd left the gas on, and the flame was out. That's when I realized that the whole first floor smelled of gas; it must have been on for almost an hour. I was amazed.

So was Pen when I scooped him up in my arms and hugged him (after opening the front and back doors!). He saved my life today. That's why he's working on a big rawhide bone right now.

13 comments:

Rick Sellers said...

Wow. I've never felt obligated to send a bone in the mail in my life... but this has me wondering.

Spencer said...

OMG. Wow. Give him a whole case of bones.

Lew Bryson said...

You know, Rick...me neither. I love seeing those words strung together, though.

How about it, guys? Does that pup deserve some serious rawhide, or what!

Anonymous said...

That's worth a bone a day for a year! Or maybe even the rest of his life! (and yours...)

Steven said...

That's pretty durn cool. He been watching old reruns of Lassie & Rin Tin Tin?

okbrewer said...

RAWHIDE!? Pour th' lad a bowl full of your best Single Malt!!

Bob R in OKC

Bill said...

That's totally awesome. Good for Penderyn. I had a similar incident recently (well, without a dog pointing out the stove was on), and what got me was how little the gas smelled like gas, if that makes any sense. I walked around the kitchen wondering if there was something rotting in the drain, took the trash out... and it was only when I went to put something on the stove that i realized it was on and not lit. Luckily, the realization happened before actually turning the dial to ignite.

Anonymous said...

Nah, he musta been watchin' the Strongheart episodes on Classic Tv. Good for him!!

Rick Lyke said...

Lew:

Penderyn sounds like a mighty smart dog. If he was just a little taller, I'd worry about him staging future "gas incidents" in hopes of future rewards. ;-)

Glad you are still around!

Rick

Butch said...

Awesome. Give that dog some love from us.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Lew. I'm a fellow Newtowner, dog lover & beer guy. Anytime you can incorporate a story involving all three (working at home and assuming you were working on a beer story), I'm all ears.

Himself said...

You might say P, "hopped" to the problem! Himself, "Pete"

gaz regan said...

There are tears in my eyes, Lew. God be with you.