The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Repeal Day coming up soon

I really wanted to do some stories on the 75th anniversary of Repeal, which is coming up this Friday, December 5th, but it just didn't come together for me. I'll just have to settle for stopping by Memphis Taproom Friday afternoon for dollar drafts (really, 3-4 PM), lifting a glass to the memory of the folks who got us out of Prohibition, and visiting this cool website put up by the Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S. (DISCUS). Prohibition and Repeal were immensely influential events in U.S. history, and hardly anyone knows the truth about them these days, or even thinks about them.

So go, learn, get smart. And come Friday, have a drink. Have a couple. Hell, party all night long, because you legally can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lew, I thought you be interested in this thread I started on BA based on an article by Maureen Ogle. I think it properly captures the on-going "alcohol problem" that as a society we still face today. The posting by Bjshelak
says it all!

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1667256

Richard

Lew Bryson said...

Good piece. And it's not a simple issue at all; other cultures -- like Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and increasingly France -- are struggling with it too, without having had the experience with Prohibition.