The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Doing Anything This Saturday Afternoon?

As you may know, I'm real big on Rieker's Prime Meats, the German deli and butcher in Fox Chase, Northeast Philly. They make and smoke their own sausages, and they make fantastic hams and bacons, and their supply of authentic German candies, pickles, sauces, and so on is second to none. (I like to stop in there after donating platelets at the Red Cross's Northeast Donor Center, you know, to replenish my hemoglobin and such.)

So when the folks across the street at the Blue Ox Bistro contacted me and suggested that we do a Philly Beer Week event with Rieker's...I about wet myself. Sorry for that image, but...

So here's the deal. The event is this Saturday at 2:00 PM (an hour after my wheat beer breakfast at the Grey Lodge, feel free to join me), for a cover of $25: a steal for the event. We're going to match up the great German and German-type beers the Blue Ox is serving (really; if you haven't been back since the re-opening, you'll be pleased) with some of the delicious German-type meats you can find at Rieker's. We'll eat, we'll drool a bit, we'll talk beer and smoked meat.

Then we'll all walk across the street to Rieker's where you'll be able to shop for the stuff you just tasted, a food-beer home-restaurant cross-over you won't find too many places! I'll be right there with you, helping with suggestions, pointing out the sweets and delicacies (they do have smoked eel, just ask (and if you know what I'm talking about, you know me too well)), and translating to the best of my abilities. Then we'll head back across the street to the Blue Ox, and wind up at 5:00.

Here's the menu (we're still making beer pairings, but you'll get Spaten Maibock, Sly Fox Rauchbier, Tucher Hefeweizen, a Victory Braumeister Pils, and the "1809" Berliner Weisse)
  • Assorted cheeses, Rieker's own landjaeger sausage, Rieker's rauchpeitschen "Smoked Whip" sausage (better than any damned Slim Jim!)
  • Rieker’s Triple-Smoked Bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwich, potato salad with more triple-smoked bacon
  • Rieker’s smoked Hungarian bratwurst, Rieker’s smoked pfefferwurst (my favorite post-platelet treat, a peppery, soft, smoked sausage), Rieker’s bockwurst
  • Mussels in Tucher Hefeweizen sauce (not from Rieker's, but hey: hefeweizen mussels!)
  • Egg Skillet with Reiker’s smoked Kielbasa & Radeberger Pilsner cheese sauce, Burger with Radeberger cheese sauce

If you like German beer, if you like German food, if you like shopping in a deli where the people behind the counter actually made most of the meats on display...join us on Saturday. We'll have a good time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm there for the weekend, coming in Friday afternoon but haven't planned yet. I hope to see you, Lew.
Daniel

TC said...

Sounds amazing... stupid Lent is killing my meat eating.

Lew Bryson said...

Meat, guys, fleisch!

Be good to see you, Daniel. Stop on by, I owe you one...or two.

Anonymous said...

Meat beer and Lew, what could be better?

Anonymous said...

Ach Du Lieber! Ich bin dabei!

Alexander D. Mitchell IV said...

Goddammit, Lew, it's bad enough that the doctors aren't letting me have any beer or other booze for the time being, but for now they also have me on a low-fat diet, and one of the broad categories banned for now is smoked meats.

You really, really know how to rub it in, don't you? <;-[...

Pete LaVerghetta said...

This one is on the list, sounds good.