The Full Bar - all my pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Yuengling Celebrates 180th Anniversary with a party and 13% growth

Dick Yuengling Jr. and his daughter Wendy celebrated the family-owned (Dick-owned, to be precise) brewery's 180th anniversary at Michael B's in Deer Lake, PA. They were joined by a bunch of fans, and country singer-songwriter Earl Bud Lee.

Okay, yada-yada-yada, this is just another celebration of the brewery's anniversary, except for this quote from the Pottsville Republican: "I'm excited about the fact that we're still continuing to grow at such a rapid rate," Yuengling said. "This year's a big year. We're up about 13 percent. And in general, the beer business is down like 1.2 to 1.5 percent," Richard Yuengling said before the show.

Yow! That's pretty damned good, that's kicking beer sales ass. This reinforces something I've been floating with craft brewers: Americans want to buy beer made by American companies. Be a good time to jump on that.

11 comments:

Beerbuddha said...

As far as America lagers go I enjoy Yuengling. Great beer!

Anonymous said...

I love Yuengling, but let's not forget that at least part of that growth was due to their moving into the previously untapped Georgia and West virginia markets.

Lew Bryson said...

Anony,

That's true, but let's also not forget that Yuengling can sustain that kind of new-market growth for a long time. New England, Ohio, the Midwest...plenty of market there for an American-owned brewery. Yuengling's been in New England before, and the retailers there tell me they would love to have it again.

jp said...

yeah you have to look out this number the same you would look at a retailer revenue or volume numbers by using same-store-sales that way it is oranges to oranges.

Chas. D. Kaier said...

Frankly I'm surprised after they let Bavarian type and old german die.

Lew Bryson said...

Really? The only bottles of Old German I had were pretty damned nasty stuff, and that was back when I was drinking Natty Bo and Stroh pounders.

sam k said...

Both of 'em were the same tasty Yuengling Premium that's still overlooked today. You think they actually made multiple baseline beers for the economy market in the same brewery? I don't think so.

I grew up on Stoney's, Esquire, Fort Pitt, and Old Shay...all the same beer in a different bottle. Only thing that's missing is your perception and/or predisposition.

Lew Bryson said...

Say it ain't so, Sam!

I suspect the Old German I had -- once -- was truly old German. Which would make a difference.

jp said...

premium is a good beer. Sam, I though Old Shay finished its illustrious career as a cream ale, now that would have to taste different to Stoney's, Esquire, Fort Pitt right?

Chas D. Kaier said...

You didnt hear it from me but I knew the Yuengling's back in my day and their Old German was just yuengling in a grenade bottle. Although they weren't NEARLY as good as the Old German that was made down in Hammonton, NJ or by Eagle over in Catasaqua, PA. They used to put Bavarian Type in Yuengling returnable cases. Interchangeable.

Of course none of those were as good as my mascot premium beer in a painted label split. Why these Johnny-come-lately microbrewers dont re-release that one is beyond me, just as I am in the beyond...

Anonymous said...

Think Lionshead. Hipster 20'somethings will gobble that down but if you give them a Gibbons or a Bartels in an archaic 16oz returnable bottle with a dated label they will spit it out.

Weird lot, these beer drinkers.