The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hello, Pittsburgh!

I'm headed out to Pittsburgh week after next to do brewery/bar visits for Pennsylvania Breweries 4th edition, and I've managed to book some events. Hope I see some of you there.

On Tuesday, November 17, at 6:15 PM, I'll be hosting an edition of Craft Beer School at the Theater Square Cabaret; it's all about my favorite topic, Session Beers. Details are here and here (sorry, they each have details the other doesn't!). Craft Beer School is the brainchild of Vecenie Distributing's Tony "The Beer Man" Knipling, one of the most dogged, determined champions of craft beer I've ever met, and -- believe it or not -- the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust. It's a short, fun session, about an hour, and we'll talk about the beauties of low-alcohol beer.

The next night, Wednesday the 18th, I'll be doing a barrel-aged beer tasting at Bocktown Beer & Grill, and they have corraled some excellent beers: New Holland Oaked Mad Hatter IPA, Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB through their "Brewser the Infuser" filled with bourbon-soaked oak, Great Lakes Oaked Black Out Stout, Erie Oaked Railbender, Arcadia Oak-Aged Cereal Killer, and Arcadia Big Dick's Old Ale aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels. And we may have a few more amazings up our sleeves; still working on that. Expect a lot about the bourbon aging process and the secrets in the wood; I am a beer and whiskey guy, after all. I'll have details on this one soon; watch this space!

And if you're in the biz in the area -- bar or distributor -- Vecenie is throwing a craft beer pep rally Monday night (the 16th) at the Teutonia Männerchor, where I'll be talking about the whole craft beer revolution, where it came from, how it's doing, and where it's headed. Get in touch with them and come on out! (This is for retailers only; sorry, general public.)

4 comments:

spoon said...

I plan on being at all 3 events so don't think I'm stalking you. Well you could if you want but I just ruined the fun out of guessing.

Bocktown has done some amazing things with Brewser. Chris and Tera have taken infusing to a whole new level.

Lew Bryson said...

We're having a discussion about Brewser: which bourbon to infuse the wood with? Hell, I was impressed they even asked. I suggested Maker's or Old Fitz: a milder, wheated bourbon for a milder beer. We'll see.

Stalker!

hank scorpio said...

Lew,
Try to make a stop and visit the Windber Hotel on during your travels to western PA. (Its about 10 miles east of Johnstown) Tastfully restored 1897 Hotel with a craft beer focus. Reading your stuff I think you'd appreciate the place.

Tony said...

Lew thanks for the huge and unwarranted praise. I can easily put forth than our Session beer "class" will last over an hour and a half.
The Pgh. Trust is not using our room for anything else that night.

Tony Knipling
Lew's teaching assistant