The Full Bar - all my pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Now it's over

We lost. Not "the Phillies lost." We lost. We're in this together, and just saying that makes me realize that after 45 years of not really giving a damn about team sports -- except for a brief flirtation during college when F&M's basketball team made it to the Final Four -- I have become a fan. Which is not a bad thing, and I am prepared to suffer as well as celebrate. Hell, I suffered in 2007, a little. God knows the Iggles have made me suffer (Lose to Oakland, kick the snot out of the Giants? Which team plays this Sunday, boys?)

But we had a good run this year, a great run, and it's a young team. 2010's going to be another great year.

Great job, Phillies!

You umpires, though...wow, did you suck this post-season...

9 comments:

Richard said...

Ditto Lew, well said!

Tom E said...

Typical Philly fan. Blame the umps.

kevb said...

I'm a Yanks fan & I thought the umps sucked throughout the playoffs.

Fun series though!

Lew Bryson said...

Excuse me? Did I blame the umpires? No, I just said they sucked. I'd say they sucked pretty evenly -- I don't blame any of the Phillies' losses on poor umpiring -- but they definitely sucked, and I'm not alone. Even the umpires realized they sucked: the usual practice is to put one rookie ump in the Series, someone who's never officiated a WS game before. This year, in a nod to the furor over bad calls in the postseason, they went with an all-veteran team of umpires.

So...typical Yankees fan. Know everything, listen to nothing!

Lew Bryson said...

kevb,
It was a good Series. I was listening to the Phils' announcers last night on WPHT, pre-game, and they had one of the guys from WFAN on. The guy -- wish I could remember who -- was real nice, and at the end, wished the Phils' good luck. There was an awkward silence, and the Phillies' guy says, "You don't mean that."
"Yeah, I do," the NY guy says. "We get one more night of great baseball. How is that bad?" Bingo. Very cool. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

"So...typical Yankees fan. Know everything, listen to nothing!"

Sounds like a typical new yorker to me (especially if you add in arrogant and pompous)!

Erik Huntoon said...

I'm a Yanks fan too but totally agree that the umpiring was particularly bad this post season. Not just in the World Series, but all the series. Also I would not have taken your comment as putting the blame on the umps. Anyway, I think you guys have a great shot for next year.

Rich said...

The umpire suckage fell both ways. In baseball I find that if the umps suck that both teams will suffer bad calls and over the course of the series it will even out in the end. But, yes, I do agree.

Anyhow, look forward to next season, this is the "battle" cry of the Philly fan, "there is always next season". I think the Phillies should be good for awhile and hopefully dominate the NL East.

Also, now that baseball is over I can share in your Eagles heartbreak, or triumph, as you've said whatever it happens to be depending on which team shows up. Yeah, Raiders...WTF?

Bill G. said...

It must be nice to have a major league baseball team...maybe Pittsburgh will get one someday!