The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sweet Potato Pies -- 100 proof!

I baked two sweet potato pies last night for Thanksgiving dinner, using a Frugal Gourmet recipe that I tweaked a bit. They came out pretty nice, so I thought I'd share.

2 cups cooked/mashed sweet potatoes/yams
4 tbsp. butter
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. mace
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup bourbon (I used J.T.S. Brown 100 proof, and that may have been too strong; try an 80 proof bottling)

Boil, peel, and mash the sweet potatoes, and then measure two cups of the mash. Place in a bowl, and mix in the other ingredients. Place in an unbaked pie shell (I use the pre-made Pillsbury ones). Place in a 400° oven and immediately turn the oven down to 325°. Bake for 45 minutes (I wound up baking these for more like 85 minutes, and I think it was because of the 100 proof bourbon; the filling stayed goopy-wet for a long time).

This was quite bourbony; you might want to cut that to 1/3 cup bourbon. Or not. I liked it, Cathy thought it a bit overpowering. But this is not pumpkin pie; the spices and flavors are different. Very good, but different. I'm liking it.

3 comments:

Rob K said...

I'd think it would have less to do with the proof of the bourbon, and more to do with the simple volume of liquid.

Lew Bryson said...

But the volume was the same as the recipe called for. I was thinking that the 100 proof would take longer to evaporate off. Not really sure, I'm guessing. It did take almost twice as long as the recipe gave. Of course, I had two pies in the oven, too.

sam k said...

I'm convinced it's not the proof...it's the karma. We made two pies tonight (homemade crust, I say...it's easy!) that took nearly twice as long as they normally do.

Maybe the weather?