The Full Bar - all my pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Narragansett Porter -- Wow!

This is easily the most pleasant beer surprise I've had in a while. Well...beer tasting surprise; the Penn revival noted below was pretty damned pleasant (as was the Yuengling Porter discovery that I still have to write about). But this is about the flavor.

The first time I wrote about Narragansett was back in February. They sent me some samples of the Lager for a story I was writing (for American Brewer, about how they were reviving the brand, and doing a nice job of it). I wanted Porter then, because Narragansett Porter was the last 'Gansett beer I'd had, waaaaay back in the dawn of my beer-drinking days, and I wanted the cyclical part of it. They didn't have any. Humph.

Then I got an e-mail about a bit launch of Porter, so I said yes, I'd like some. And a sixer showed up. Well, as I'd posted on Facebook, my tasting table's kinda full, so it took a week or so to get around to chilling one, which I did Monday night.

Wow! This is great stuff! Cottrell Brewing's doing it for them under contract, and they're doing a nice job. It's plenty dark, with a great tan cap of foam, a chocolatey aroma that follows through in the mouth, with just enough roasty cut at the end to clean things up for the next swallow. I had it with our pork and onions favorite (recipe here, simple and delicious), and it was awesome. So I wanted another, and I had one, just now. Still great stuff. Wonder if I can get it here?

(Speaking of great stuff...I picked up Nora early at school today, and took her to lunch at the General Lafayette. I had a cask Pacific Pale Ale that was great, dry and hoppy, with a rare Steak Frites that was probably the very best food I've ever had at the General; great fries (salt and pepper'd fresh-cuts) and a very toothsome piece of beef, done just to my order. Nice work on the kitchen recovery, Chris!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any similarities to the original porter or is this a new micro-version?

George Esslinger said...

You should look into my own Esslinger's Phila, PA half and half it is 50% stout, 50% ale and a 100% good drink with no coloring or flavoring added, produced where only ale, porter and stout are brewed.

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed it. Simple is best (food-wise)and that's the direction we've gone. Too bad you missed out on the cask red, which is as good a version as we've ever made, but the pale is working fairly well too. Sorry I missed you as I was running T-giving errands all day.
Cheers!

Lew Bryson said...

If simple is best is the direction you've taken, it's working. Way to go, Chris; I'd have been happy to say hello, but understood, we were about to go run some errands ourselves. Cheers, good to hear from you.

Jay said...

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, I hope the "Yuengling Porter discover" has something to do with cans!!!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I came home form working yesterday and decided to celebrate. Had a few Steg Porters in my fridge. After those I dug out a Gansett Porter I traded for this summer. It was solid but it seemed to have a slightly sourish taste (might have been around since last winter). After that I had to run for a sixer of Yueng Porter (and I picked up a sixer of Lord Chet for Turkey day).

Al Luccioni said...

I have heard from multiple sources that 'gansett porter is produced by High falls and is essnetially the same brew as Dundee porter (which is my number 2 go to porter after steg) Can you confrim or deny?

AL Luccioni said...

that is, Dundee was producing their proter before Cottrell picked up the contract

RunawayJim said...

Quick correction. Sean Larkin from Trinity Brewhouse in Providence is brewing the Porter (he also brews their Bock). While it's being brewed at Cottrell, I am 90% sure that Sean is down there doing the brewing.

Fred said...

If you traded for the Gansett Porter back in the summer, then it was undoubtedly from last winter, as they just brewed their winter '09-'10 batch in early Nov. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and make another trade sometime this winter. This year's version was bumped up to 7% ACV and tastes delicious.

Loren said...

Not surprising...as the Bock they make is flat out terrific. Brown malt in a Bock beer? Yup...and it shows.

I'll be on the lookout for this for sure.