The Full Bar - all my pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Iron Hill does some pretty damned good German

Hey, I forgot about this, but it's been a damned busy month. Iron Hill has a great prix fixe German dinner on this month for Oktoberfest, two courses of wicked tasty meat. First course is a sausage salad: grilled bratwurst and knockwurst on braised lentils, with a big healthy helping of watercress, drizzled all over with thinned stone ground mustard. Not enough meat fer ya? The second course is roasted pork tenderloin with beer-braised red cabbage, house made apple sauce (which was wicked delish), and mashed potatoes with gingersnap gravy.

Let me tell you...Good eating. Cathy and I had this a few weeks ago at North Wales, and while I was tempted by Vienna, pilsner, and Ofest, I tried the dark lager first...and just stuck to that. Damned good beer. (If they've got the apple pie when you're there, well, it goes with that, too!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lew if you want a little change from talking about apple pie and would like to check in on a different topic Google Wall Street Journal mean street and weigh in on the In Bev topic would like to here your thoughts...

Lew Bryson said...

Wow. If that's you, I'm kind of happy to see that you don't make any more sense at WSJ.com than you do here.

Please don't send in any more comments on this topic: I'm not putting them up. Sorry, bub, but you can write your own blog. I'd love to see it.

Unknown said...

The wife and I did the German platter at North Wales last week and we were totally blown away with the meal and the dark lager. The wife said it was the best IH beer she ever had, and I must say it ranks up there for me also. Grabbed a growler on our way out and now heading to IH Wilmington this weekend for more dark lager and brats. Good stuff !!

Loren said...

Best thing IH did was replace the old house beer with the Vienna. Had it last year and it was amazingly spot on. Larry just doesn't know Belgians that's for sure.

Cheers!

Lew Bryson said...

Can't go along with you on that, Loren: his Belgian Pale is a very fine beer, and just amazing on cask.

Anonymous said...

Lew,

I might be putting words into loren's mouth, but something tells me that it was meant to read "doesn't just know" instead of "just doesn't know".

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Loren said...

HA! I meant he wasn't a one trick pony with regards to just Belgian styles. Which I know he does well. Always has. Was glad to see IH branch out deeper into the German area. Now, bring a damn branch to NYC! Sheesh!

Lew Bryson said...

Whew. Glad I misinterpreted that, I thought I was gonna have to smack ya.